There was a question posted on Quora recently that I felt was particularly applicable to this blog. The question (in case you clicked on this article without actually reading the headline) is, “what makes a great digital strategist?” Here’s the answer according to yours truly.
The fact is anyone can be a digital strategist. It’s a pretty vague term that anyone with a basic understanding of current digital trends can latch on to. The key to becoming a great digital strategist is to possess some or all of the following skills:
- The ability to analyze, interpret and report on any planned or current digital strategies
- Comfortable with looking at strategies and goals from multiple perspectives
- A firm understanding of current and emerging digital tools and technologies
- Experience working with some level of code (HTML/CSS/Java etc…)
- Excellent interpersonal skills
Digital technology is moving at an unprecedented rate and it takes critical minds to keep up and make sound decisions. All the tools exist that enable informed decisions; a great digital strategist can help plan and execute campaigns that provide excellent value for their clients.
I’d love to hear your thoughts about what you think makes a great digital strategist. Whether you fancy yourself a digital strategist or you just have an opinion on the matter feel free to share in the comments section below.